Thursday, February 01, 2007

Little Mosque on the Prairie

I've watched the first three of these out there. I must say, this is possibly the most over-hyped thing to happen since the debacle that was Phantom Menace. I am not a big TV watcher, in fact I need to download anything I want to watch. But, after having listened to an interview on Fresh Air, I decided to give it a go. I watched the original - not so hot, a few laughs, all predictable, but might be cute for middle America. Ok, second show. More cliche. More flat jokes. One scene did make me laugh towards the end. Third show... definitely the worst yet. All the jokes fell flat. All of it was predictable. It wasn't even remotely funny at any point.

This is too bad because the actors all seem to be fairly good for a sit-com, the chemistry of the show works, the setting has the potential to be one of the funniest shows since Seinfeld... and yet, not so much.

For one, the show is too egger to introduce all of the characters in 22 minutes. This is a big cast. It just isn't possible. They should take a less ambitious approach. They should concentrate on slower, more in depth character development and explore some of the issues that arise from that. Keep the subplots down to 1 or 2 per show and a few overlapping ones in the tradition of "Great Expectations."