Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Power of Discussion


Very recently there was an energetic and very lengthy discussion over at Dkos about Land Value Taxation. I think there are a lot of things to learn from that discussion, the details of which I won’t go into.

However, I want to share with you one of the comments when the discussions were being drawn to a close:

"I'm mulling it all over...and over...trying, as you no doubt are...to fit what's possible to change and what's not with both the status quo in my state together with the political realities re all taxes, that reality 'created' by propaganda created by the wealthy to protect themselves and gain advantage. The complexities drive the average citizen (me) to distraction...literally..."What the HELL! Let's go shopping! (or to the beach or the ballgame or 'what's on tv?' Jeez, I might even read a novel for a change!) Like Vivian Leigh, confronted by the complex and seemingly insurmountable problems at Tara...I'll think about that tomorrow."

Now, I don’t know if that person is suddenly going to become a Georgist or not and frankly, it doesn’t really matter. What is important that most people, in my opinion, are genuinely trying to seek new and alternative solutions to some very old problems. Henry George is a different paradigm and like all paradigm shifts can be a hard pill to swallow at first and as such, trying to think critically about what George said can be a challenge.

The interesting thing about the internet, in most cases, is that most are willing to confront these problems and ask the tough questions. While, it may not seem that people are receptive to new ideas, because the most stalwart defenders of the current paradigm are also the most vocal.

I think the poster pretty much nailed it though, which is why the internet is so powerful because it is a self-selecting pool of people who are willing to actively engage in such topics of debate.

As Henry George said:

If the conclusions that we reach run counter to our prejudices, let us not flinch; if they challenge institutions that have long been deemed wise and natural, let us not turn back