Friday, June 16, 2006

Oh, Poor Pitiful Nora

Man, it must really be a hard life to be a famous journalist these days and having to do things like, oh, I don’t know, pay the market rent. So, for all these years she’s been able to be a net rent taker at the expense of those who are paying the income tax and at the expense of those who most valued that property.

I sort of like rent control. I like it in the same way I like men who wear silk shirts. It is so wrong and causes so many problems that it gets people thinking about the problem. I figure, if people can see how ridiculous this dude looks, it will not be long until we have eradicated this blight from our cities and parks. Of course, this is me being optimistic. Every year, I’ll go for a run in Central Park and silk shirts abound just like every year some rent controlled story pops up from some city or area. Like the shirt, people think rent controls are great. But it just feels so good! Wrong answer!

Why the city didn’t adopt a tax on rent years ago (or even elected Henry George over 100 years ago) is a mystery.

But, at least people are thinking about “rent”. Hopefully, they will start thinking about “Rent” and we can get a debate going.